Multimedia Journalist Wanted
The Central Valley Research and Public Policy Institute has an immediate opening for a Multimedia Journalist. The successful candidate will research and write stories for the Institute’s website on public policy matters, contribute content to the quarterly magazine, and contribute to other publications. These are just the beginning phases of our growing news organization. As well as news and politics, she/he will report on business, national and local events and human interest stories that impact the community. The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a print/broadcast journalist, exceptional research and communication skills, and outstanding work ethic and integrity.
Work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and evenings/weekends as needed.
Central Valley Research is an independent, nonpartisan research institution. Based in Fresno, California, the Institute was established in 2014. Research and analysis by the Institute focuses on social issues, the economy, governance, and quality of life in the San Joaquin Valley. The Institute also conducts polls of public opinion on issues related to public policy. It disseminates its findings, analysis and opinions to local, regional, state and federal officials, as well as non-profit and private sector leaders, public media, and the general public.
- interviewing people in a range of different circumstances;
- checking reference materials, such as books, news files, or public records, to obtain relevant facts;
- gathering information that may not be easily accessible about issues/events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social, or other functions;
- building contacts to maintain a flow of news: contacts should include, but are not limited to sources in local council, community groups, along with press officers from a variety of organizations, and the general public;
- seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media;
- attending press conferences and asking questions;
- attending a variety of events, such as City Council meetings, etc.;
- staying informed on current events and reacting to breaking news stories on the Institute’s behalf as necessary;
- working closely with a marketing team, photographers and editors;
- producing concise and accurate copy according to the Institute’s style guidelines and to strict deadlines. There may be several per day;
- writing short 'fillers' to entertain, and researching and writing longer feature articles, sometimes for external publications;
- creating and uploading news content for the website, including attaching images and streaming video;
- utilizing social media reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events.
- 5+ years newspaper/television reporting experience;
- College degree in journalism, political Science, or related degree; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in shooting, writing, editing and on-air presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
This job description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities. Job incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.
About Fresno, California: The city of Fresno is located in the heart of California within the fertile San Joaquin Valley. From the agricultural fields on the Valley floor to the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountains, the Fresno area truly offers something for everyone.
To learn more about all that Fresno has to offer, please explore:
http://www.fresno.gov/default.htm or http://fresnochamber.com
To be considered for this opportunity, please email your resume, news philosophy and a link to your best work to: email@example.com
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Exceptional benefits package, including health, dental, vision, retirement and even daycare benefits.